Youth and Family Ministry at St. John is centered on engaging youth and families in a Christian community that will support and equip them to explore how God is active in their lives, and how they can live a faith-filled life every day.
Milestone Ministry is an intentional ministry that connects families to St. John and each other, as we recognize and learn about God’s presence throughout the different stages of a child’s life, from birth to graduation.
Milestones celebrated at St. John:
- Baptisms (Any Age, Any Time) Please schedule with the church office.
- Prayer (2-Year-Olds, Fall) We can talk to God anytime, anywhere!
- Faith Steps (3-Year-Olds, Fall) Worship celebration with presentation of Spark Story Bible. The Spark Story Bible opens up God’s Word to kids through colorful art and rich retellings of 150 of the most popular Bible stories.
- Backpack Blessing (All Ages, Fall) Bring your backpacks and school bags to worship for a blessing as the school year starts!
- Affirmation of Baptism (10th Grade, Fall) The Confirmation service for those who have completed Confirmation!
- Bible Milestone (5th Grade, Fall) Worship celebration with presentation of Lutheran Study Bible. Lutheran Study Bible is designed to invite readers to experience the Bible and its message through solid background material, unique Lutheran insights, and opportunities for faith reflection. Reader-friendly, inviting, and engaging, this is the perfect study Bible for both youth and adults who want to encounter Scripture in a fresh and new way!
- Ten Commandments (4th Grade, Winter) What are the Ten Commandments, and what do they mean for us today?
- Apostles’ Creed (3rd Grade, Winter) What do we believe?
- Lord’s Prayer (2nd Grade, Winter) Lord, teach us to pray…
- Imago Dei (6th Grade, Winter) As you enter middle school, you are reminded that you are wonderfully made in God’s image!
- Holy Communion (ANY Age, Spring) If your child is asking about Communion and wants to participate in this meal, they are likely ready! Children are already welcome to commune with permission of their parents, but we invite you to learn what this sacrament is all about. We suggest that children participate in this milestone before 5th grade, but you are welcome at any time.
- Gradution (12th Grade, Spring) We recognize our young adults who are graduating from high school.
CROSS+WALK: Faith Formation for All Ages
Countdown to Cross+Walk
Attention families: We invite you to be part of Cross+Walk! We’re super excited for the year.
At Cross+Walk, we’ll help kids and their families discover who Jesus is. Through large group and small group settings, we’ll show your family how to live out faith every day at home, school and in your communities.
Who: Everybody is welcome with a special focus on families (grown-ups, too!) with kids ages 3 through grade 5.
When: Sundays at 9:30 a.m. (basement Fellowship Hall)
We Need You for Cross+Walk
To accomplish everything we imagine for this ministry, we need volunteers of all ages – high school youth to our most experienced Lutherans.
Does this make you nervous? Don’t sweat it. We have some incredible, easy-to-use resources to help you be a successful leader.
How can you help? We need:
- Large group leaders willing to present the themes and Bible stories to an all-ages group (rotating a 30 minute commitment each Sunday)
- Small group leaders willing to team teach peer groups (20-25 minute commitment each Sunday plus prep)
- Hosts to greet Cross+Walkers and make them feel welcome (15-20 minute commitment each Sunday. No prep.)
We also are looking for leaders to assist with our Milestone Ministry. This is where we fulfill many of the congregational promises we made to our young Lutherans at their baptism (like teaching The Lord’s Prayer, the creeds and placing the Scripture in their hands). This requires a commitment of 1-2 Sundays per year.
Please contact Cindy Bloom at 701-238-1336 or email@example.com or the church office, if you can help.
Confirmation engages and equips our youth and their families in learning about their faith.
Confirmation classes are held for our 6-9 grade youth, with the Affirmation of Baptism in the fall of 10th grade.
6th-8th Grade: Old Testament, New Testament, Catechism (Ten Commandments, Apostles’ Creed, Lord’s Prayer)
9th Grade: Peer Ministry (equipping our young adults to do ministry in everyday life)
Service in the community and involvement in the life of our church community as also essential elements of Confirmation.
To participate in Confirmation Ministries, complete a registration form and contact the church office.
Senior High Youth Group
Our Senior High youth meet once a month on the second Sunday of the month from 6:30-9:30.
There will be food, time to chill, and good life & faith conversation. Friends are always welcome!