Countdown to Cross+Walk
Attention families: We invite you to be part of Cross+Walk 2016-17! We’re super excited for the year as we bring new energy and focus to this ministry.
At Cross+Walk, we’ll help kids and their families discover who Jesus is. Through large group and small group settings, we’ll show your family how to live out faith every day at home, school and in your communities.
Who: Everybody is welcome with a special focus on families (grown-ups, too!) with kids ages 3 through grade 5.
When: Begins Rally Sunday, Sept. 11
Register online through the church’s website: Cross+Walk Registration. To help cover supply costs, we suggest that families pay $10 per student with a maximum of $25 per family. We also welcome donated school supplies (markers, paper, colored pencils, etc.).
We Need You for Cross+Walk
This year we are excited to bring new energy and focus to Cross+Walk, and we’d like your help. To accomplish everything we imagine for this ministry, we need volunteers of all ages – high school youth to our most experienced Lutherans.
Does this make you nervous? Don’t sweat it. We have some incredible, easy-to-use resources to help you be a successful leader.
How can you help? We need:
- Large group leaders willing to present the themes and Bible stories to an all-ages group (rotating a 30 minute commitment each Sunday)
- Small group leaders willing to team teach peer groups (20-25 minute commitment each Sunday plus prep)
- Hosts to greet Cross+Walkers and make them feel welcome (15-20 minute commitment each Sunday. No prep.)
We also are looking for leaders to assist with our Milestone Ministry. This is where we fulfill many of the congregational promises we made to our young Lutherans at their baptism (like teaching The Lord’s Prayer, the creeds and placing the Scripture in their hands). This requires a commitment of 1-2 Sundays per year.
Please contact Cindy Bloom at 701-238-1336 or email@example.com or the church office, if you can help.
Welcome to St. John Lutheran Church
Welcome to St. John Lutheran Church!
We are a “community in Christ” who is passionate about being “Christ in community.” Being community in Christ celebrates diversity and focuses on unity through Jesus given through the cross and resurrection.
We welcome the diversity of race, national origin, age, gender, physical, mental and emotional condition or capacity, political perspective, personal history, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, economic or social situation.
We as a community of Christ are strengthened through worship and learning so that together we can enter the other communities in our lives and share God’s grace.
Join us as we strive to be “community in Christ” while being “Christ in our communities.”
We’re located in South Fargo near the entrance to Lindenwood Park.
Chosen by God in grace to be the people of God, St. John Lutheran Church seeks to encourage, reflect and grow community in Christ through our worship and witness to the world.
What do we do in Christ?
- We gather to worship weekly (and sometimes more often) to celebrate the gifts of Christ that form us and shape us as a community.
- We pass on the faith to our children in Cross+Walk (family/intergenerational Sunday School) and Confirmation to give them the language of faith so they might grow to become part of the community more deeply.
- We nurture and encourage our youth by providing space to gather and talk about important things, mentors and staff to guide them, mission trips to teach, opportunities to serve, fun-filled adventures to better experience their burgeoning faith.
- We grow in faith through study and service with the Bible and prayer.
- We reach out with the gospel of Jesus Christ to the Fargo-Moorhead community in ministry, working with New Americans and refugees, serving meals at the Salvation Army and Churches United for the Homeless.
- We support one another in difficult times of life.
- We lift our voices together in praise.
In all we are and all that we do, we are a community in Christ.
St. John had its beginning in 1927 when St. Mark’s English Evangelical Lutheran Church of Fargo purchased a lot at Fifth Street South and 14th Avenue. A portable building was purchased from the Fargo School Board and remodeled into a branch Sunday School.
In 1946 about 25 members of St. Mark’s requested that a mission church be established on the south side of of Fargo to be associated with the Sunday School. Permission was granted and St. John’s English Evangelical Lutheran Church held its first service on Sunday, October 26, 1947. On October 29, 1950, the new parsonage was dedicated; total construction costs amounted to about $11,000.
On Reformation Sunday, 1955, ground was broken for a new church and on July 29, 1956, a cornerstone ceremony was held for the new church building located at 1710 5th Street South. In 1963 ground was broken for an education wing which was dedicated in September of 1964. Women were elected to the church council for the first time in 1970. At a congregational meeting in early 1987 it was decided to proceed with construction of a new sanctuary; and on November 29th, 1987, the first service was held in St. John’s new sanctuary.
In 2004, St. John launched another building project to remodel existing space and add off-street parking with a new entry. Our church facilities are now enhanced by the new entry, an elevator for better handicapped accessibility, new offices and a landscaped parking lot.