Please join us for Worship
Wednesdays during Lent at 6:30 pm
Sundays at 8:30 am and 10:45 am
Cross+Walk Family Ministry at 9:45am
St. John Lutheran Church is now accepting applications for the part-time position of Youth Education Director! The purpose of this position is to provide the planning and implementation of the education programming for Youth, Family and Faith Formation Ministry programs. Job duties revolve around a passion for kids and youth ministry, and the ability to communicate God’s love through one on one conversation and small and large group settings.
Welcome to St. John Lutheran Church!
We, the community of St. John Lutheran Church (ELCA), embrace the mystery of God’s love for all creation.
As a gathering community of Christ we are called to live and be Christ in community. Living in Grace, we strive to see Jesus shining in all people of any sexual orientation, gender identity, race, ethnic origin, age, economic reality, family status, diverse ability, or faith perspective. Through God’s embracing grace we celebrate as full participants in the life and ministry of St. John Lutheran.
“…For all of you are one in Christ Jesus.” Galatians 3:28
We’re located in South Fargo near the entrance to Lindenwood Park.
Chosen by God in grace to be the people of God, St. John Lutheran Church seeks to encourage, reflect and grow community in Christ through our worship and witness to the world.
In all we are and all that we do, we are a community in Christ.
St. John had its beginning in 1927 when St. Mark’s English Evangelical Lutheran Church of Fargo purchased a lot at Fifth Street South and 14th Avenue. A portable building was purchased from the Fargo School Board and remodeled into a branch Sunday School.
In 1946 about 25 members of St. Mark’s requested that a mission church be established on the south side of of Fargo to be associated with the Sunday School. Permission was granted and St. John’s English Evangelical Lutheran Church held its first service on Sunday, October 26, 1947. On October 29, 1950, the new parsonage was dedicated; total construction costs amounted to about $11,000.
On Reformation Sunday, 1955, ground was broken for a new church and on July 29, 1956, a cornerstone ceremony was held for the new church building located at 1710 5th Street South. In 1963 ground was broken for an education wing which was dedicated in September of 1964. Women were elected to the church council for the first time in 1970. At a congregational meeting in early 1987 it was decided to proceed with construction of a new sanctuary; and on November 29th, 1987, the first service was held in St. John’s new sanctuary.
In 2004, St. John launched another building project to remodel existing space and add off-street parking with a new entry. Our church facilities are now enhanced by the new entry, an elevator for better handicapped accessibility, new offices and a landscaped parking lot.