Welcome to St. John Lutheran Church!
We are a congregation of the Eastern North Dakota Synod of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA), and a lively, growing community of faith located at the entrance to Lindenwood Park in Fargo, ND.
St. John had its beginning in 1927 when St. Mark’s English Evangelical Lutheran Church of Fargo purchased a lot at Fifth Street South and 14th Avenue. A portable building was purchased from the Fargo School Board and remodeled into a branch Sunday School.
In 1946 about 25 members of St. Mark’s requested that a mission church be established on the south side of of Fargo to be associated with the Sunday School. Permission was granted and St. John’s English Evangelical Lutheran Church held its first service on Sunday, October 26, 1947. On October 29, 1950, the new parsonage was dedicated; total construction costs amounted to about $11,000.
On Reformation Sunday, 1955, ground was broken for a new church and on July 29, 1956, a cornerstone ceremony was held for the new church building located at 1710 5th Street South. In 1963 ground was broken for an education wing which was dedicated in September of 1964. Women were elected to the church council for the first time in 1970. At a congregational meeting in early 1987 it was decided to proceed with construction of a new sanctuary; and on November 29th, 1987, the first service was held in St. John’s new sanctuary.
In 2004, St. John launched another building project to remodel existing space and add off-street parking with a new entry. Our church facilities were enhanced by the new entry, an elevator for better handicapped accessibility, new offices and a landscaped parking lot.